Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snowboarding...its extreme and so is the pain afterwards


I consider myself a bit of a cautious adventurer. I realize that that may be a contradiction of terms, but sometimes, self preservation is more important than adventure. This weekend I threw caution to the wind and decided to go snowboarding...and for those wondering, I have no clue on how to snowboard. I figured being a female of great poise and grace and balance, snowboarding would come easily. So before the crack of dawn, I was up and on a train to Feldberg, in the black forest, with a bunch of other crazy people heading off on our next adventure.

In my experience, once you look the part, you have more confidence to be the part, and so I looked like a right old snowboarder (what am I going to do with snowboard pants in South Africa is an entirely different blog) and off to the slopes I went.

Lets just say, that there is a lot of things I am a natural at, I have great beginners luck, unfortunately, that does not stem to snowboarding. For the better part of two hours, I spent most of my time falling on my ass, it was fun, painful, and cold, but the rush you get when you finally get up on the board, and snowboard down the slope in a perfect arc is priceless, its like flying though the snow, it almost makes you forget your crash landing at the end, when you are going to fast, lose your balance and end up on ur butt in a heap at the bottom of the slope.

All in all, it was a great day, completely exhausting but totally fun...the drawback however is the pain you feel the next day. Muscles you didnt even know existed are in excruciating pain, so much so that is is even an effort to put your socks on, and so you dont, you spend the day in bed, in solitude, because even talking hurts, but its still fun and still worth it, and that is why I am going snowboarding again...whoohoo

No comments: