Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In Paris I did not find Love, Just Art,and a freaky old man



When you grow up, there is always this dream to go to Paris, fall in love beneath the Eifel Tower and live happily ever after. I am more of a cynic when it comes to such things, so on a recent trip, all I expected was Baguettes and cheese, and more importantly the Champs Elysee. I must admit, I did not give Paris enough time, just two days, enough time to see the Louvre from top to bottom, say hi to Mona, pose with cupid and shop along the Champs Elysee. I must admit that that was the highlight, strolling into overpriced stores, eating at sidewalk cafes, and I cant help but think how difficult it must be to french and live up to all that expectation. Even the McDonalds tries so hard, calling themselves McCafe, like that would make their coffee any better, and even the girl serving you behind the counter is plastered with make up. I do admit that I was a little disappointed with Paris as it just did not live up to the hype and romaticised picture I had in my head. It was crowded, grimy, over-priced and exceptionally cold, although the last one is no fault of Paris. I did enjoy the time in the Louvre. All that art, grandeur, and tales of yester year, captured for eternity. I looked at the Mona Lisa through the crowed and watched her staring, half smiling back at me. I went to visit Napoleans aprtments adn saw the most amazing sculptures and I wonder why today, when we have all the technlogy and acuiment, me just do not produce such marvels, or maybe, our marvels will be appreciated when we are long gone. So I realised that it was time to leave when an old man outside the Louvre started hitting on me...seriosly grandpa, it was just not you lucky day...and to Paris, Au Revoir

No comments: